The popularity of tungsten rings has increased exponentially over the past few years and it’s not hard to see why. First of all, they’re very stylish and come in a wide variety of styles and designs and therefore can be very uniquely matching to your style. They’re also much more accessible than rings that are made from traditional soft metals like gold and silver.
However, what really sets tungsten rings apart is their durability. These rings are so hardy that you can literally have them for a lifetime without seeing a single scratch or sign of tarnishing on them. They’re also fade-resistant, they don’t oxidize or rust, and they’re resistant to air and water as well. Now, if that’s not tough then we don’t know what is!
Related: Do Tungsten Rings Tarnish? Do This to Make Them Look New
Another very appealing quality about tungsten rings is that they’re very low maintenance, non-fussy and easy to clean, which is why they’re typically recommended for the more active and adventurous groom who doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty. Read on to find out how to care for your tungsten ring in order to get rid of dirt and grime that builds up over time, so that you can keep it nice and shiny for longer.
How to Clean a Tungsten Ring
What you’ll need:
- Mild soap
- Cotton swabs
- Cotton cloth
Pour a few drops of mild dish detergent or hand wash soap into the water and mix. This is the best cleaning solution for tungsten rings because it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals such as those found in common cleaning products like chlorine, bleach or ammonia, which are most likely to damage your ring.
Swish the cotton cloth into the solution to create lather. Then, use the wet cloth to wash the exterior part of your ring, making sure to put some elbow grease into it in order to really remove the dirt.
Take the toothbrush or the cotton swab to get into the nooks and crannies created by the ring’s detailing, whether that’s gemstone insets, milgrain grooves or patterns. If there is still some stubborn dirt left on the ring, leave it to soak for about 15 minutes or so to make it easier to scrub out.
After inspecting the ring and seeing that it’s properly clean, rinse it with warm water. Then, use a clean cotton cloth to dry it.
How to Polish a Tungsten Ring
You might notice your ring starting to get a bit dull after cleaning it a few times over the years. When this happens, try out our polishing guide below to restore its shine.
Step One: Arrange your tools
Before you start polishing your tungsten ring, prepare the following tools:
- Some safety goggles to protect your eyes in case a bit of polishing paste comes flying off the wheel.
- Leather gloves or thick cotton ones to protect your fingers from getting burnt, as the ring will get really hot during the polishing process.
- Polishing compound. Ideally, you want a high-quality compound of 0.5 microns, like the one that’s used in the finishing stages of polishing loose diamonds. It’s available online for about $5.
- A polishing machine with a cotton buffing wheel that has a large diameter.
- A handheld rotary tool with a felt pad and arbor.
Step Two: Smear some paste onto the ring
A little goes a long way with this paste, so you really don’t have to apply too much.
Step Three: Polish
Place one half of the ring inside a tiny piece of paper towel, place it inside the machine vertically and gently crimp it so that it stays in place, but don’t lock it in too tight. Smear some paste onto the felt pad of the rotary tool as well, and rub it in so that it doesn’t come off while you’re working it on the machine.
Switch on the rotary tool and rub it on the ring, and go from one side to the other while making sure to apply some pressure onto it. Polish the ring like this for about 1 minute or so and you should start seeing the pad getting a little darker, which means that it’s cutting into the dirt to reveal the ring’s natural shine.
Switch off the tool, apply a bit more paste onto it and repeat. Then, remove the ring from the machine and repeat with the other side that was wrapped in the paper towel piece.
Extra maintenance tips to keep your tungsten ring clean the right way:
- Avoid the use of ultrasonic jewelry cleaners. However, if you must use these cleaners, be sure to use them exclusively and don’t combine them with any cleaning solutions or soaps, and do not leave your ring inside one of them for longer than a minute.
- Keep your tungsten ring separate from any chemically cleaned jewelry. This way, you won’t have to worry about possible contamination from the chemical residue contained in your other jewelry pieces.
- Clean your tungsten ring immediately after exposure to harmful chemicals like ammonia or bleach.
- Store your tungsten ring separately from your diamond jewelry, because the diamond is one of the few substances that are capable of scratching the tungsten material.
As you can see, caring for your tungsten ring, that can be for example one of our tungsten wedding bands for men is quick, easy and cheap. The best part is that you don’t even have to clean it that often and when you do, you’ll have useful tips on hand to make sure that your ring comes out looking new and shiny.
Related: Tungsten Carbide Hardness vs Durability | Metal Comparison
How to Polish a Tungsten Carbide Ring | Video
The video below is a very nice tutorial on how to polish a tungsten carbide ring. The video maker bought a tungsten carbide ring from Triton.
His job as a roofer has been very rough on his tungsten carbide ring. He tried to get his ring polished at a jewelry store but the store said it cannot be done because tungsten carbide is too hard to be polished.
So he bought some diamond polishing compound from Amazon and polish the ring himself. This is how he did it:
- Bought 0.5 micron diamond compound paste from Amazon for less than $5 including shipping
- Wrap half of the ring in several layers of paper tissue to protect it from scratches. Leave the part of the ring you want to polish exposed without covering it up with the paper tissue.
- Secure the ring in a clamp-on table vise. Make sure the ring is not directly touching the jaws of the vise – the paper tissue should be sandwiched between the ring and the jaws.
- Apply the diamond paste to the grinding head of a Dremel.
- Turn on the Dremel and polish the ring with the rotating grinding head covered in diamond paste
- Apply more diamond paste to the grinding head as needed
- Stop after polishing 4 to 5 minutes. The ring should look shiny again.
Related: How to Remove Tungsten Rings in Emergency
How to Remove Scratches from a Tungsten Ring | Video
The video below will show you how to remove scratches and engravings from a tungsten ring. You will also learn how to polish the ring and make it look like new again.
- Tools and materials needed – a green diamond wheel, a white diamond wheel, a cloth grinding head, and a 0.5 micron diamond paste compound.
- The tungsten ring in this video is black. When you remove the engraving from the ring, you will also remove the black coating on the surface of the ring. As a result, the polished part of the ring will return to the natural color of tungsten – a metallic silver.
- Put the green diamond wheel on a Dremel. Turn on the Dremel and start grinding the diamond wheel against the engraved part of the tungsten ring
- Keep grinding until the engraving is gone. Should only take a few minutes
- Replace the green diamond wheel with the white diamond wheel. Use it to polish the same spot of the tungsten ring you have worked on in steps 3 & 4.
- Keep polishing until that spot is shiny
- Replace the white diamond wheel with a cloth grinding head. Apply the diamond paste to the cloth head. Use that head to further polish the ring until you get the extra shine you want.
5 Ways to Make Your Jewelry Last Longer
Many people appreciate jewelry—but do you know how to make sure that your jewelry lasts as long as possible? All jewelry will become damaged or need repairs over time, especially if it’s something you wear on a regular basis such as your diamond engagement ring or your wedding band black tungsten rings.
If you want to help your jewelry last as long as possible, then make sure you follow these following 5 ways to make your jewelry last longer.
Related: How Long do Tungsten Rings Last?
Use a non-abrasive cleaner
First, make sure you never use an abrasive cleaner on your jewelry! Harsh cleaners can damage the stones and common materials used to make jewelry, such as silver, tungsten, and gold. Use a gentle cleaner that is specifically designed to be used with jewelry so that it won’t cause unnecessary damage to the jewelry.
Get durable jewelry
One way to make your jewelry last longer is through prevention: buy durable jewelry that is designed to last for decades, not flimsy jewelry that may only last a month or two. For example, if you are looking to buy wedding rings, skip the soft high-karat gold and opt for tungsten rings with a solid and highly durable base.
Take your jewelry off when washing your hands
Did you know that soap and water can damage jewelry, such as rings or bracelets that may come in contact with the water or suds? This is why you should always take any jewelry that could come into contact with the soap and water off before you wash your hands. If you’re at home, get a designated ring dish where you can place bracelets and rings before you start washing; if you’re out and about, tuck them into your pocket or purse rather than setting them on a potentially dirty bathroom sink.
Store your jewelry properly
Most people don’t store their jewelry properly; instead, they throw it into a jewelry box or toss it on top of their dresser and call it a today. However, it’s important that you store your jewelry correctly if you want it to last a long time.
Jewelry should be stored in a box that is designed to minimize air leaks and will keep the jewelry in a dark and cool place. You must also make sure that your jewelry doesn’t get tangled or mixed up, as certain materials may cause scratches to your other jewelry pieces.
Take off your jewelry before you go to bed
This is an important step to take, since countless rings, bracelets and necklaces are damaged every year by people who forget to take off their jewelry before they go to sleep.
You aren’t in control of yourself when you sleep, so you won’t realize that you’re crushing your favorite ring or that your necklace chain has gotten damaged. Make sure you always take your jewelry off and put it away in an appropriate box before going to bed.
If you want your jewelry to last as long as possible, don’t forget to follow the above methods!